Tensions erupted in Westminster this evening after thousands of Leave supporters gathered to demonstrate over the delay to Brexit – on the UK’s scheduled date for departing the EU.

Police and protesters faced off at Downing Street on Friday as a large crowd of Tommy Robinson supporters gathered in Whitehall.

It came after the Prime Minister suffered a third Commons defeat when her Withdrawal Agreement was rejected on Friday.

Some demonstrators cheered as MPs voted down Theresa May’s deal, but others were left fearing it meant a new EU referendum was now on the cards and were frustrated by a delay.

One man was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer and two others on suspicion of assault.

Another was for being drunk and disorderly, while a fifth was detained after being identified for being wanted in relation to an offence in Hertfordshire.

Clashes later broke out between Tommy Robinson supporters and police, with fans of the controversial figure even engaging in a tug of war with officers over metal railings.

Friday’s march saw huge crowds of activists with Union Jack flags, placards and banners fill the roads outside Parliament.

A separate ‘Make Brexit Happen’ rally also featured at the demonstration, with speeches from Ukip leader Gerard Batten and English Defence League founder Robinson.

SNP Joanna Cherry reported being “abused by trailing ends” of the Leave means Leave protest as she walked home.

Meanwhile The Labour MP for Wigan, Lisa Nandy, said on Twitter she was “accosted” outside Parliament before the vote.

She wrote: “Today outside Parliament I and others were accosted by people shouting f****** traitor as we tried to get in to vote. Our staff were advised to leave the building for their own safety. There were armed police everywhere. This is not normal.”

Mrs May’s Brexit deal was defeated by a crushing margin of 58 votes, triggering Tory calls for her to stand down.

The reaction of some protesters reinforced how confusing the Brexit process has been, with some wrongly believing it was a third “meaningful vote” on Mrs May’s deal.

Danny Wallace, 28, from Manchester, said: “I listened to what happened and Theresa May pretty much said she’s going to come out with a second referendum.

“That’s a bad idea, I think what most people wanted was what was on the table.”

Roger Hopkins and Charlotte Clifford, both from Eastbourne, said they were pleased the agreement had been defeated as it was a “bad deal”.

Mr Hopkins, who is retired, said: “What I really really hope for now is to come out on WTO (World Trade Organisation) terms, it’s not ‘crashing out’ or anything like that.”

Ms Clifford added: “The people are supposed to be the masters and them inside (pointing at Parliament) are meant to do what we tell them. It’s democracy.”

The final leg of the March To Leave had seen hundreds of marchers file from Fulham towards Parliament Square.

Ukip leader Gerard Batten spoke alongside Mr Robinson from a stage in Whitehall during the protest.

Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement defeated for the third time
It’s not all Brexit — six reasons to be cheerful
Scotland Yard was compelled to dismiss as “baseless and false” suggestions from Mr Batten that water cannon could be deployed at protests to “provoke Brexiteers”.

The Metropolitan Police did have three water cannon – purchased while Boris Johnson was London Mayor – but they were sold at a more than £300,000 loss because their use had been banned.

Westminster Council said it is aware of up to 13 separate scheduled protests and the Metropolitan Police said “appropriate policing plans are in place”.

Scotland Yard said: “We will always provide a proportionate policing plan to balance the right to peaceful protest, while ensuring that disruption to communities is kept to a minimum.”

Facebook Comments